Explore Tekera Resource Centre

close map

left-arrow right-arrow crafting-icon

01

right-arrow
right-arrow

Being in a rural area, farmers require transport to markets and consumers for their harvests

02

right-arrow
right-arrow

We buy co-operative members’ harvests, transport and sell them to restaurants and hotels in the cities

03

right-arrow
right-arrow

We demonstrate new agricultural skills and farming methods, optional and diverse crops, at the demonstration farm to help farmers thrive in a changing climate.

TRC’s remote location makes accessing markets difficult. Coupled with increasing climate change, viable farming is becoming more complicated - leaving many parts of Uganda in a food sovereignty crisis. TRC’s co-op connects farmers with markets, while also teaching new and upcoming agricultural skills and techniques for today’s changing climate.

- Malaka Pauline, TRC Farm Manager

Why

TRC’s remote location makes accessing markets difficult. Coupled with increasing climate change, viable farming is becoming more complicated - leaving many parts of Uganda in a food sovereignty crisis. TRC’s co-op connects farmers with markets, while also teaching new and upcoming agricultural skills and techniques for today’s changing climate.
The farm is the lifeblood of the Centre. It not only provides nourishment for our students and staff, it provides an income to the Centre and income to the farmers in the co-operative. This multi-faceted program recently opened a commercial piggery. Uganda is the # 1 pork consuming country in East Africa, and the TRC farm is helping to meet this demand while also increasing the self - sufficiency of the Centre.

Close

yellow cross

Story

Our farm began as a small single plot - and is now over 16 acres!
The Demonstration farm began in 2006 with a 2.5 acre plot. This plot is used by the farm manager to teach farmers in the community about new methods of farming, such as climate-smart agriculture and irrigation techniques. She also brings in specialists who offer skills training in organic farming methods, drought-related agriculture skills-building and crop variety education. This farm also assists in feeding the Centre, while producing commercial crops that are sold to hotels and restaurants in both Masaka and Kampala. Crops grown on the farm include: tomatoes, potatoes, ground nuts, spring onions, bitter squash, celery, cucumbers, zucchini, spinach, posho, eggplants, green peppers, dill, parsley, lettuce, leek, hot peppers, cassava, basil, watermelon, cabbage, pineapples, matoke, carrots, coffee, bananas, mushrooms, papaya, and maize, varieties of herbs, sukuma-wiki, and beans.

We also have a 4-acre pineapple farm, a 3-acre matoke farm, and a 7-acre coffee plantation. 

Poor sale prices, coupled with a lack of secure markets and transportation in the area, meant that many farmers had previously focused only on subsistence farming. The farmers’ co-operative group was established in 2007, aiming to raise incomes of farmers in the area with small plots. TRC, through the Co-op, encourages farmers to grow more crops which TRC then buys and sells in Masaka and Kampala to hotels and restaurants - thereby increasing farmers’ incomes. The farmer receives 80% of the sale price and the remaining 20% is used to cover the costs of transport. An open meeting was held in May 2007 with 30 local farmers who discussed the group and agreed to join. Seeds have been distributed on loan, with the repayment due when the farmer sells goods through the Co-op. The farm manager currently organizes the sales for the farm and the co-op.

Close

yellow cross

Impact

Localized food systems provide the foundation of people’s nutrition, incomes, economies, and culture throughout Uganda.
80% of individuals in Uganda participate in either sustenance or commercial farming. TRC supports farmers in the community both at the household level and commercially. They keep the food supply chain short, ensuring the most direct impact for our farmers from seed to plate.

Close

yellow cross

Explore More of The TRC's Programs: